Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Valued at $50,000 per year
Posted On June 30, 2017
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is a program initiated by the Government of Canada which was first launched in 2008. The program is aimed to strengthen the abilities of Canada to attract premium doctoral students establishing the country as a global center of excellence in higher learning and research. Vanier Scholars have to demonstrate leadership skills as well as a high standard of academic achievements in graduate studies in the following fields: natural sciences and/ or engineering and health, social sciences and/ or humanities.
It is highly important that students be nominated by an eligible Canadian institution. The list can be consulted here: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/appendix_a_cgs_2015_16_to_2017_18.html Applicants will not submit their scholarship applications directly but they will be nominated by a scholarship liaison officer who is responsible for coordinating the internal institution review. The scholarship responsible will determine the selected candidates and the proposal will be forwarded to the Vanier CGS program. The applicants have to hold an offer from one of the eligible academic institutions which can be found in the above link.
Three important aspects are taken into consideration: academic excellence, research potential, and leadership. It will be taken into consideration the impact of the applicants’ activities in their area of expertise which is considered as an important indicator for his/her potential as a leader. Students are advised to consult the following webpage in order to fully read and acknowledge the admission requirements: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/selection_committee_guide-comite_selection_lignes.html#b01
Canadian citizens, as well as permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are considered eligible for the Vanier scholarship. However, the following aspects have to be met by them:
- Applicants have to be nominated by only one Canadian institution. The list can be consulted here: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/appendix_a_cgs_2015_16_to_2017_18.html
- Applicants must be pursuing their first doctoral degree including also joint undergraduate/ graduate research program: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD but only if it has a demonstrated research component.
- Applicants must be pursuing a full-time doctoral program at the nominating institution
For the full list, candidates can access this link: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/eligibility-admissibilite.html
The value, duration, and number of the scholarships offered
The scholarship is valued at 50.000 per year for 3 years on a row. The number of scholarship awarded is up to 167.
The closing date
There are two deadlines:
- The institution internal deadline; after the student’s identification in ResearchNet, an additional deadline will appear at the top of each page. This particular deadline should be respected
- The program deadline where the institutions are forwarding their selected nominations by November 1, 2017 (20:00 Eastern Time)
Students who are interested should consult the following webpage: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/nomination_process-processus_de_mise_en_candidature.html . Here they will find out all the necessary info about the competition and application process.