Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarships
Posted On June 30, 2017
If you are you looking to study in a country which has a little bit of everything – breathtaking landscapes, sandy beaches, hard-to-conquer mountains, medieval castles and above all highly reputable universities, Romania is the perfect spot for you. The country is located in Southeastern Europe, bordering the Black Sea, a number one reason for you to visit Romania. Rich in exotic heritage, the country is a promising place for academic opportunities.
So, if you are interested in the Eastern European culture but you cannot afford the trip that will allow you to experience it directly, the Gilman Scholarship is available for you. The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarships are suitable for the students who come from underprivileged backgrounds and who are low-income.
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is a grant offered by the U.S Department to U.S undergrads citizens who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide. About the Federal Pell Grant you can learn more about here: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/grants-scholarships/pell
In order to be eligible for the Gilman Scholarship, you have to comply with the following admission requirements:
- You have to be citizen of the U.S;
- You have to be an undergrad student in good standing at an accredited institution of higher education in the U.S;
- You have to receive the Federal Pell Grant or make proof that you will be receiving it during the term of your study abroad program or internship;
- You have to be in the process of applying to, or accepted for a study abroad or internship program of at least two weeks (applicable for the community college students) and four weeks (applicable for students from 4-year institutions)
- You have to hold a proposal to study in a country which is not under a travel warning. Find out here what travel warning implies: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings.html
The value and number of scholarships awarded
More than 2.900 scholarships of up to $5.000 will be awarded this academic year for undergrads U.S citizens who wish to study or participate in an internship abroad. The amount will vary depending on the needs of the students and length of study.
IMPORTANT NOTE! Applicants who are studying a critical need language while they are abroad where the language they are studying is spoken will be automatically considered for the Critical Need Language Award, for a total award of $8,000. This award is competitive and offered to a limited number of students each year.
The list with critical need language can be accessed here: https://www.gilmanscholarship.org/program/program-overview/
Application process and deadlines
Before submitting the application, you need to contact the appropriate offices at your home institution in order to determine the correct study abroad and financial aid advisor who will certify your application. Some of the institutions designate a specific financial aid or study abroad advisor to certify all Gilman Scholarship applications.
Please review this page for more info about the application process and the closing date: https://www.gilmanscholarship.org/applicants/application-overview/